Well the traditional version is far too high in calories for me so I have adapted it and made this beautiful and wonderful tasting turkey version.
500g turkey mince
6 lasagne sheets
3 carrots, chopped thinly
1 leek, chopped thinly
1 red pepper, chopped thinly
2 cloves of garlic, chopped thinly
2 tbsp Italian seasoning
Salt and pepper
300ml skimmed milk
1 tbsp butter
3 tbsp plain flour
50g cheddar cheese, grated
Tin of chopped tomatoes
- Turn the oven onto gas mark 7/220 c/425 f.
- Fry the leek, carrots and pepper in a saucepan for 5-10 minutes until softened and lightly browned. Add the garlic, 1 tbsp of Italian seasoning and some salt and pepper. Take the vegetables out of the pan.
- Put the turkey mince in the pan and cook for 5 minutes until browned. Add the chopped tomatoes, 1 tbsp of Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Place the vegetables back in the pan, give everything a quick stir and leave on a low simmer for 10 minutes.
- Whilst the turkey is cooking, make the bechamel sauce. Place the skimmed milk, butter, and plain flour into a saucepan and place on the heat. You need to whisk the sauce constantly, until the mixture becomes thick and smooth (about 5 minutes). Take off the heat and add half the cheese, whisking again until the cheese melts.
- In your lasagne dish place the turkey mixture first followed by 3 lasagne sheets, then the bechamel sauce. Repeat these steps again and you should be left with the sauce on the top. Place in the oven for 20 minutes. Add the remaining cheese and cook for a further 10 minutes.